lubuntu 10.10 Release Notes
What is Lubuntu
Lubuntu is an Ubuntu derivated using the LXDE desktop. It’s designed to be a lightweight and easy-to-use desktop environment. Lubuntu is actually not part of the Ubuntu family, and not build with the current Ubuntu infrastructure. This release is considered as a « stable beta », a result that could be a final and stable release if we was included in the Ubuntu family.
- Based on the lightweight LXDE desktop environment.
- Pcmanfm 0.9.7, a fast and lightweight files manager using gio/gvfs.
- Lxdm, a lightweight GTK display manager.
- Chromium, the open-source version of Google Chrome.
- … and, of course, based on Ubuntu 10.10
Improvements since Lubuntu 10.04
Applications by default
Programs installed by default have been updated
- Update-notifier, to get notification for available updates.
- Xpad, to create quick notes (similar to Tomboy).
- Ace-of-penguins, to provide some games
- Parcellite, which is not maintained upstream, is less useful since most of copy/paste bugs was gone with pcmanfm 0.9.X
- Pyneighborhood was replaced by gvfs support of pcmanfm.
- LXtask replace Xfce4-taskmanager for tasks monitoring.
- Evince is now used for reading PDF, ePDFview have some serious memory leaks.
- New theme
- New slideshow is available during the installation, to describe Lubuntu and its features.
- Lxpanel now support Ubuntu indicators applets. This feature is turn off by default, but you can activate it by adding the “Indicators applet”.
New extras packages
- A new meta-package (lubuntu-core) is available to install only core packages of Lubuntu.
- A new meta-package (lubuntu-restricted-extras) is available to install restricted packages for Lubuntu (such as flash, java and extra codecs for Chromium)
- LXDE is now HAL-free. Lubuntu still depends on HAL for CD-burner, but by removing it, you can obtain a HAL-free system.
- New lxappareance from LXDE git (without Openbox integration)
- And the usual updates of LXDE and Ubuntu packages included in Lubuntu.