lubuntu 15.04 Release Notes
New Features in Lubuntu 15.04
- General bug fix release as we prepare for LXQt.
- Many LXDE components have been updated with bug fix releases.
- An update of the artwork (more icons, theme update, more compatibilities …).
Lubuntu is a good operating system for many old computers, but not for all of them. Some computers have too little horsepower or memory. A rule of thumb is that the computer should not be more than 10 years old.
For advanced internet services like Google+, Youtube, Google Docs and Facebook, your computer needs about 1 GB RAM.
For local programs like Libre Office and simple browsing habits, your computer needs about 512 MB RAM. See minimal for systems below that RAM.
The minimum specification for CPU is Pentium 4 or Pentium M or AMD K8.
Older processors are too slow and AMD K7 has problems with flash video.
Graphics chip / card
Nvidia, AMD/ATI/Radeon and Intel work out of the box, or the system can be tweaked to work fairly easily. You can get help at the Ubuntu Forums. With such graphics, or if you don’t know, try the current Lubuntu version.
- Desktop installer does not reboot or shutdown when prompted at the end of the install in VirtualBox or VMWare, so a hard shutdown will be required (1447038).
- Desktop installer fails to load desktop window decorations on Haswell Intel desktop with HD 4600 graphics (1445814).
- run dialog opens on desktop with lxpanel config not current desktop (1445818).
- notification dialog has horizonal bars; workaround exists (1362555).
- lxpanel volume applet settings opens empty terminal window; workaround exists (1434774).
- lubuntu-software-center: can’t find uninstalled packages on a system installed with the alternate image; workaround exists (1446830).
- file-roller: “Add files” greyed out, can’t add anything (1383902).
- file-roller when launched from context menu of pcmanfm has password filed grayed out when creating a compressed archive (1432777).
- gnome-mplayer shows 2 notifications for opening multiple files when window is not focused (1434347).
- Lubuntu PPC is now LTS only.
Ubuntu Release notes